Sunday, October 4, 2009

Hon Vichet's artwork

Sasha and Sovann worked with four young landmine survivors to create artwork representing their past experiences and their ambitions for the future. Each artist created one box. Inside each box, the artist painted the story of how his accident happened. On the outside of the box, the artist painted their ambitions for the future. The boxes are hung and people can stick their head inside to see the paintings.

Below is a Hon Vichet's story and a photo of his artwork.

I am 23 years old. When I was a child, my family lived in Kampong Cham. My father drank a lot and was quite violent, and I ran away when I was three years old. I stopped a car and asked the people to take me to Battambang where I lived on the streets for three years. Kind people gave me money to eat and I bought some polish and a brush and made some money polishing people's shoes outside restaurants.

One day a family asked me if I wanted to stay with them, so at the age of six I went to live in Svay village in Battambang (now Svay Sisophon in Banteay Meanchey). I looked after their five cows for two months before I had my accident. I had tied the cows up and went to have lunch and play with my friends. We ate sticky rice in banana leaves with prahok, very tasty!
I didn’t know that land had mines. It was about two kilometers away from my village, which is quite near the border with Thailand. While we were playing one friend stood on a landmine and pieces of the mine flew through the air and hit my leg. The friend who stood on the landmine died immediately, I fell unconscious, and my other friend went to get help.

People in the village made a stretcher with bamboo and material and carried me to the hospital about two kilometers away. I was already there when I woke up. I was so sad when I saw that I had lost my left foot.

Four months after my accident I went to Phnom Penh, where I lived on the streets for three years. When I was nine years, old Friends International started to take care of me but I left in 2002 at the age of 16 and made some money selling newspapers and magazines on the streets of Phnom Penh. About a year later, I met Aki Ra while I was walking the streets, and he asked me if I would like to live at the Cambodian Landmine Museum (CLMM). I moved to the CLMM and went to school to learn a lot of different things.

In 2008, I went to live in Siem Reap and earned money playing traditional music in Banteay Kdei temple. It was during a visit to see my friends back at the CLMM that I heard Aki Ra was sick. I went to see him and he asked me if I would like to train to be a deminer with his organization, Cambodian Self Help Demining (CSHD).

I have now learned about clearing the land of mines and am happy to be a deminer. In addition to demining, I still love music. Sometimes I dream of being a pop star. I would like to start my own band and play the keyboards.

Although I had some problems with my real parents I would really like to find them because I have not seen them or my sister for 20 years. I can’t remember their names as I was so young but I do remember they lived in Banteay Sup village in Kampong Cham.

No comments:

Post a Comment